Money Management

FEMA offers assistance for damage caused by winter bad weather in Calcasieu


LAKE CHARLES, Louisiana (KPLC) – Homeowners and tenants in Calcasieu who were affected by the winter storms in February are now eligible for FEMA assistance.

No other parish in southwest Louisiana has been approved for aid at this time.

If you have home or tenant insurance, you should file a claim as soon as possible. By law, FEMA cannot duplicate benefits for losses covered by insurance. If your policy does not cover all of your damage costs, then you may be eligible for federal assistance.

The fastest and easiest way to apply is to visit

If you cannot register online, you can call FEMA at 800-621-3362 (TTY: 800-462-7585). Free phone lines operate from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. seven days a week.

Those using a relay service such as a videophone, Innocaption or CapTel must update FEMA with their specific number assigned to that service.

When requesting help, have the following information ready:

  • A current phone number where you can be contacted;
  • Your address at the time of the loss and the address where you currently reside;
  • Your social security number, if available;
  • A general list of damages and losses; and
  • If insured, the policy number or agent and / or company name.

Remember to have photos from before you start the cleanup to document the damage. Remember to keep receipts for all purchases related to cleaning and repairs.

Disaster assistance may include financial assistance for temporary shelter and home repairs as well as other programs to help families recover from the effects of the storm.

US Small Business Administration low interest disaster loans are available to homeowners, tenants, businesses of all sizes, and nonprofits.

  • For small businesses, those engaged in aquaculture and most non-profit organizations, up to $ 2 million is available for working capital needs even if there has been no property damage. , with a maximum loan of $ 2 million for any combination of property damage and working capital requirements.
  • For owners: up to $ 200,000 is available to repair or replace their primary residence.
  • For owners and tenants: up to $ 40,000 to replace personal property, including vehicles.

Businesses and residents can apply online on

For questions and assistance in completing an application, you can call 800-659-2955 or email [email protected]

Copyright 2021 KPLC. All rights reserved.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.