Christian Education

Surge spoils Burgoyne milestone | Mandurah Courier


Port Adelaide produced a dominant first half to spoil Hawthorn champion Shaun Burgoyne’s scoring game with a comfortable 34-point victory.

Burgoyne only became the fifth player in AFL / VFL history to reach 400 games and this rare achievement was appropriately celebrated during the build-up.

But it was the former team of four-time leading player The Power who found more reason to cheer at Marvel Stadium on Saturday night.

Strong ball player Ollie Wines led the way as Port laid a first platform for a 13.9 (87) to 7.11 (53) win that saw them reclaim their top four spot. .

There was a bitter note for Ken Hinkley’s side, who lost Kane Farrell to a serious knee injury in the first quarter.

Burgoyne was relatively calm mid-back for Hawthorn with 11 eliminations, but drifted late and nearly scored when his snap in the later stages fell wide.

“It’s been a big week and a very enjoyable one,” Burgoyne told Seven after the game.

“It would have been really nice to get the win tonight, but Port Adelaide was way too good… that’s the way it is sometimes.”

Wines (43 disposals and 13 liquidations) continued his exceptional season with a difficult performance in the clinch alongside his Power teammate Travis Boak (27 and nine).

Port had plenty of options up front, where Charlie Dixon (four), Todd Marshall, Sam Mayes and Miles Bergman (two each) all scored multiple goals.

Connor Rozee drew the wrath of Hawks fans for exaggerating Blake Hardwick’s touch to win a free kick, but had the last laugh when he scored a goal in the last minute.

Midfielder James Worpel had 23 kills, nine clearances, eight tackles and one goal as one of the Hawks’ best and Tom Mitchell had 29 hits and eight clearances.

Farrell’s replacement Martin Frederick will not forget his first AFL goal in a hurry.

In his sixth game, Frederick sidestepped Burgoyne and finished superbly in the race as Port started three in a row to take a 10 point lead on the first change.

They kicked five other majors unanswered in the second term and led surrenders (196-138), contested possessions (85-61), clearances (24-14) and inside-50s. (31-13) by huge margins at halftime.

Hawthorn netted the first goal of the night thanks to Luke Breust four minutes later, but had no more before the nine-minute mark of the third term.

They won the third quarter – 3.3 to 1.2 – but the damage was done early this quarter when Port opened up a 48-point lead.

“The first half was very solid and I was really happy with the way we played,” said the Power Hinkley coach.

“Hawthorn has happened a lot this week with Shaun’s magnificent achievement… and these are (milestones) really dangerous games.”

Associated Australian Press


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.