School Funding

The B&G Club will receive COVID funds for the “Academic Success” program


[ad_1]

The Bulloch County Boys & Girls Club is one of 34 clubs in Georgia that will receive a portion of $ 15 million in federal COVID-19 relief funds for camps and after-school programs.

Gov. Brian Kemp made the announcement earlier this week and Mike Jones, CEO of the Bulloch Club, said the funding would support his “Academic Success” program.

“All of the research shows a significant loss of learning in all grades and all subjects due to the pandemic,” Jones said. “This summer, the Bulloch County Boys & Girls Club began to address this learning loss by implementing their Academic Success Program. Children will receive six weeks of rigorous academic enrichment services in math and English.

Before the pandemic, the nonprofit Boys & Girls Club provided education and recreation services to around 300 children after school and during holidays. COVID-19, however, forced the club to shut down completely, and Jones said COVID precautions still have a major impact on attendance.

“BGC currently only serves one-third of its normal operating capacity,” he said. “Occupancy limitations set by the CDC and (the Georgia Department of Public Health) have limited the number of children we can serve on a daily basis. At a time when many parents have returned to work and need a safe place for their children, we are unable to help them.

“We hope that infection rates continue to decline and that these restrictions can be fully lifted by the start of the school year. We look forward to regaining our full capacity to serve over 300 school-aged children per day. ”

The money the Boys & Girls Club will receive comes from a $ 3 billion pot set aside in a stimulus bill passed by Congress last year for the Governor’s Emergency Education Relief Fund (GEER). The funds will be distributed until September 2022, to support summer and winter camp programs and after-school programs for youth ages 5 to 18.

“We have the opportunity to receive funding to support the implementation of academic programs designed to address the learning loss created by COVID-19,” Jones said. “Since our inception, academic enrichment has been at the center of our daily programs and we have proven that our programs have a significant impact on the academic success of our members. This focus and our impact are even greater now. “

Jones said certified teachers and ParaPros from the Bulloch County school system have been hired by the club to provide small group instruction based on state standards.

“Our goal is for these kids to perform at school level when they return to school in the fall. We plan to use the funds provided by the governor’s office to maintain this level of tutoring throughout the 2021-2022 school year.

The objectives of the program include ensuring that 65% of students who have fallen below grade level return to grade level by the end of the program, with the remaining 35% showing progress towards academic success.

The average cost of the program is $ 1,550 per child.

[ad_2]

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.